K120 Hybrid Programs
What are Hybrid or Blended courses?
"Hybrid" or "Blended" are names commonly used to describe courses in which some traditional face-to-face "seat time" has been replaced by online learning activities. The purpose of a hybrid course is to take advantage of the best features of both face-to-face and online learning.
Although many definitions of hybrid and blended learning exist, there is a convergence upon the three key points identified (1) Web-based learning activities are introduced (2) "seat time" is reduced (3) parents feel equip (certified teachers provide lessons, so parents spend little time researching activities/labs 4)students gain expertise in the technology field as commonly used programs are integrated into the curriculum and part of the assignment upload
Is there a recognized standard for the structure and schedule of hybrid courses?
No, the schedule and structure of hybrid courses can significantly vary from one class to another. This underscores the pedagogical flexibility characteristic of the hybrid model. The instructor of a hybrid course typically determines what instructional activities should be introduced, so common "busy work" given in many school settings are reduced. Here are a few examples of hybrid courses that illustrate different structures for the deployment of face-to-face and online learning activities:
ACCESS TO A CERTIFIED TEACHER'S CLASS WEBSITE
(FULL OF LESSONS AND ACTIVITIES)
AN ACTUAL TEACHER THAT WILL PROVIDE SUPPORT, GRADE ASSIGNMENTS, AND ENGAGE THE STUDENT
ONLINE GROUP ACTIVITIES WITH OTHER STUDENTS FROM ALL OVER THE UNITED STATES TAKING THE SAME CLASS.
Each class is setup to require little or no parent help. The lessons are setup on a weekly basis with easy to follow weekly instruction. Some of our courses require a book, but most do not. Online students are given access to everything a student would need in a school setting, but without the focus on standard testing.
How are labs taught?
Labs are the best part! Since our program is global, we are not able to do the labs in one area only. Instead we offer a free software program to our parents so the students can participate in live lab sessions. During the session the instructor can be seen in a box that takes up 60% of the screen, so the lab can be seen well. The other 40% of the screen will be filled with smaller boxes full of live images of each student enrolled. The labs are done together so the instructor can see each student participating and the group can discuss it as they work in a collaborative manner. The dynamics of having a class with students from all over the world makes the class even better and helps many of the students make lifelong friends from other areas. Pre-recorded lab sessions are always available for students who prefer that method, or for students in different time zones.
Google Chat Rooms
Teacher Created YouTube Videos
Adobe Connect Sessions
"EzTalks" Interactive Video Sessions
Split Screen Function Lessons
Teacher Videos (Live & Recorded)
Voice Over Power Point or Google Slideshows
Google Docs Group Sharing Projects
Online Games & Assignments
Written and verbal directions are given for every method that will be used in a class so don't worry if you are not tech savvy. We will help you feel comfortable with the software and programs used. If needed, we can do a phone step-by-step instruction time.